Minister for Justice
Minister for Justice from 1995 to 1998 (under three consecutive governments), Member of the Saeima (Parliament) from 1998 to 2014 (has held several leading positions, including Secretary of the Saeima, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Defence, Chair of the Legal Affairs Committee, Chair of the European Affairs Committee, Member of the Latvian delegation to the NATO Parliamentary Assembly for 7 years).
- 1996-2000 - University of Latvia, Faculty of Law, M.A. in Law (M.Sc.L.)
- 1984-1990 - University of Latvia, Faculty of Law, lawyer’s qualification (specialising in national legal issues, voting rights and corruption prevention)
- Fluent in Latvian and Russian
- English (intermediate level, NATO STANAG 6001)
- The Commemorative Medal for Participants of the Barricades of 1991
- The Commemorative Medal for Advancing Latvia`s Accession to NATO” (2004)
Hobbies/ Interests: photography, angling, ecotourism.